Wednesday, May 26, 2010

WEEK # 4 READING THE ART OF POSSIBILITY CHAPTERS 10-12

In Chapter 10, there were several connections that I had. The first one on page 144 when the player came in early in the Italian Symphony, and Ben knew by stepping onto that podium there were risks that things wouldn't turn out exactly as he anticipated. As teachers, we take risks every day when we stand in front of our children. We just never know what they are going to say or do, especially the little ones. Just the other day one of my second graders walks into the library and says aren't you glad that jerk from survivor didn't win. I told her that survivor isn't for little girls to watch. I am hoping this is just something she heard on TV or from an adult talking. But still to walk up to an adult and say this at that age is amazing. I asked a little boy from my kindergarten class if he told his parents about an assembly he participated in at school, and he says no my dad is in jail. I felt awful. You just never know.

On page 149 the authors talk about apologizing. Someone can't authentically apologize if he/she doesn't believe they are wrong, according to a shared measured of responsibility. I absolutely think it's nonsense to make a child say they are sorry if they don't mean it. When doing this, I believe the child gets the wrong message of what that word means. The child needs to learn that just saying sorry doesn't make everything ok. They need to understand that their behavior needs to change along with the verbal apology.

On page 152 when Roz steps in to help Ben deal with his problem concerning Cora. Roz tells Ben that you can always find within yourself the source of any problem you have.
I have found this to be true. It may have taken me longer to figure this out than Ben and a lot of therapy, but I found that there are reasons for the problems I have whether I like it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment