Wednesday, May 26, 2010

WEEK # 4 RESPONSE TO PATTI DURESKY BLOG

Patti Duresky Blog.........
A book I have my Advanced Placement Studio Art students read is "Art and Fear: Observations on the Perils( and Rewards) of Artmaking by David Bayles and Ted Orland. This book reminds me of the "Art of Possibility" by Zander, because it takes the observation of the unknown and brings it to light. Fear can become a part of our life and in some cases - it can rule your life. We grapple with daily fears that invade our thoughts and destroy our creativity. Creating art means working in the face of uncertainty, making the work you want to make- means finding nourishment in the work itself. Aside from the act of creation and execution there could quite possibly be no more reward. You must accept yourself as a person who has something to say and the value of sharing it publicly no matter the outcome. "In large measure becoming an artist consists of learning to accept yourself, which makes your work personal, and in following your own voice, which makes your work distinctive." ( Bayles & Orland). Vision must be the driving force behind execution. Your job is to develop an imagination of the possible.
Tolerance for uncertainty is the prerequisite for succeeding. If you act out of fear, your fears come true - because fear has become your focus. It takes a lot of practice to learn enough to improve. The seed for your next art work lies embedded in the imperfections of your current piece. When you court approval from an audience it puts a dangerous amount of power in the hands of that audience. Pure communication takes place between you and your work. Concept can only become reality if you have the confidence to compete. This competition is an internal one of going from better to best. If you do it for anyone else- you are illustrating their voice and not yours.
Art also has the dubious distinction of being one profession in which you routinely earn more by teaching it than doing it. Personally, when I teach my energy is expended in and through my students. If you try to continue being an artist while being a teacher - it's similar to chasing two rabbits- both are going to allude you and scamper away.I know I can be successful at either one but deep down inside I know my true calling is to cultivate the talents of others instead of promoting myself. It even hurts a bit as I write this but some choices we make in life are not for ourselves but for the betterment of others.Part of me screams to have my way and the other part sits in a rocking chair and shakes it's head and says," Child, at the end of the day, when your head hits the pillow, do you want to be remembered for a canvas- or the changed heart of a child?"

Kelly Jankowski said...

Wow, what a blog. I don't know where to begin. First I will commend you on your courage to put your students before yourself. I do agree with your thoughts about fear. Once that fear has control, it's hard to let go. I have health issues that cause fears in my life, and I fight them everyday. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to tolerate your fears. I have a disease called, Lupus. My therapist told me once don't let this disease rule your life. Believe me I try the best I can for this disease to be put on the back burner. When you don't feel good, it's hard to ignore the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment