Sunday, May 9, 2010

WEEK # 1 COMMENTS FOR HOLLY LEIBHAM POST

HOLLY LEIBHAM- THOUGHT FOR CHANGE - POST

In reading the first three chapters of The Art of Possibility, I found myself nodding and agreeing with many of the topic that were discussed. I believe that we are in an era where change is needed in education and in life. As a teacher, I can see the many benefits but what really struck me was the benefits for life. I would like to look at the meaning of world of measurement.

The idea behind the world of measurement is that there is always comparing and contrasting going on. Some groups seem more powerful than others. In teaching and the business field this is very true. You are always measuring yourself against someone else. A thinking of I can do better than you. The book said, "life is about struggle to survive and get ahead." Yes, in this hard economic time some do have to struggle to survive while there are others who always see the need to get ahead instead of thinking of others.

In life, the same is true as in your profession. There are always those who are looking for one more thing to make them get noticed or to one up another. This book as caused me to reflect of my own teaching and life. I need to slow down and not think of how doing this will necessarily make me look good or better but how it will benefit everyone. In this new thinking it will enable me to strengthen my whole self for the good of others rather than myself.

A powerful point in the book states, "You are more likely to be successful, overall, if you participate joyfully with projects and goals and do not think your life depends on achieving the mark because then you will be better able to connect to people all around you." So many times people and I have been caught up with making a grade or to a certain point in life that you forget everything else along the way.

KELLY JANKOWSKI said...

As I was reading your post, I was thinking about my principal, he is always trying to look like the best principal in the district at anyone's cost. I don't have a lot of respect for him because of this. If there is a contest(of any kind) between the schools, he has to WIN! It's not our school winning either it's all about him. I think this is an awful example to be showing our students. We should be showing them that all we need to do is our best. We have a reading program at our school called Accelerated Reader, and I hate it because one teacher is so competitive. The kids can't participate joyfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment