Sunday, May 9, 2010

WEEK # 1 COMMENTS FOR THERESE JOSEPHSON - THE POWER OF MAHLER 9

Week 1 Reading: The Power of Mahler 9 (and Beethoven) THERESE JOSEPHSON


There was one anecdote in the first three chapters that really grabbed me--the story about the 5 year old girl, Katrine, and Mahler’s 9th Symphony.
Zander’s point is clearly summarized in his last sentence on the topic: “It reminds me how seldom we pay attention to, or even look for, the extraordinary in children--how seldom we give children an A” (p. 46).
This is certainly true, even for educators, I think. How often do we fail to recognize the unlimited potential of the young minds we work with on a daily basis? I know that I am guilty of it on occasion--though I’m taking Chapter 2 from the book as a strong reminder not to. What would our students be capable of if they knew that we thought they were capable of anything?
But, honestly, that’s not why this passage was so powerful for me. The thing that is really striking me about this book is that, because it is written (or half-written) by a musician, there are a lot of implicit messages about the power of music. That a five year old girl can be so moved by Mahler’s 9th Symphony, largely because of the (autobiographic) story that the music tells, is a very moving idea. I had a similar experience with a 7th grade orchestra class the other day.
This group is collection of nice kids, but one of the least focused that I work with, and not always easy to motivate. They are working on an arrangement of the final movement of Beethoven’s 5th Symphony. (For those without a music history background, Beethoven’s 5th Symphony starts with a very ominous 4 note motive--I can guarantee you’ve heard it before, but ends with a very triumphant Finale. It is generally assumed that the piece was Beethoven’s statement that he would overcome the tragedy of losing his hearing.) They love it! Mostly because, I think, they can relate to the idea of someone or something telling them that they can’t do something, and the desire to prove the world wrong.When they played it in class the other day, I asked them, “Why do you think you sound better on this piece than anything else you play?” It is definitely not the easiest piece they are working on. They replied, almost in unison, “Because it’s our favorite.” I asked, “Did you think you were going to like Beethoven?” and they told me, “No.”Music is powerful. It speaks to us in universal themes, even when it was written centuries ago. My seventh graders now understand this. That is cool.


KELLY JANKOWSKI comments......

I would like to comment on the part of your blog when you mentioned that we fail to recognize the unlimited potential of the young minds we work with. I too am guilty of this. I have had the opportunity of working with Young 5's this year. I have approached the student's as not being as knowledgeable as the kindergartners. Well, I was certainly surprised to find that these students can write their first and last names, recognize and write numbers and letters, and some of them can read. I should have given them the "A" at the beginning of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment