Friday, May 14, 2010

WEEK #2 RESPONSE TO PATTI DURESKY

PATTI DURESKY BLOG WEEK 2 READING CHAPTER 4-6
In week 2, chapters 4-6 Benjamin Zander discusses three more creative visions with "Being a Contribution", "Leading from any Chair" and "Rule #6". In Chapter 4, I was struck with the beauty of the first story illustration. In coming across a woman who was in apparent futility- trying to toss starfish back into the sea. The shore was covered with starfish and the onlooker comments on how her efforts could possibly matter when the sand was full of beached starfish. Her gentle reply as she throws back another-"Why, it matters to this one".
I too feel like I'm throwing starfish when students come into my art room and comment, "I can't draw, how am I going to pass this class?" My answer is, " Then, your in the perfect place- because I teach drawing and it's apparent no one has taught you yet." That answer is the perfect answer for someone who feels they cannot succeed. They need to be told-they can be taught to succeed. It matters to that ONE.
In the chapter "Leading from any Chair"the concept of putting down a white sheet and allowing the student to comment on what the conductor could do to help them excel is an idea I also use with my students. In my Rubrics, I include direction, standards, evaluation assets and an area for suggestions. While the lesson is fresh in their minds the students can say anything ( polite form ) they want that they think would improve the lesson. The idea that the teacher is a stand-alone authority is short sighted, I often learn from my students and improve my lessons. Learners ( and teachers) of all ages must be active participants in the learning process. To "lead from any chair" is to give yourself permission to learn from those next to you- not from only from one single source.
And finally the wonderful idea of "Rule #6", "Don't take yourself so seriously", when mistakes are make- and they WILL be made- throw your hands in the air and say "Isn't that marvelous!" it's an attitude that peals away the "calculating self" ( self centered and self absorbed) and reveals the "central self"( generous and giving- free to love and be loved). It's giving yourself the opportunity to open up your boundaries and give someone the benefit of the doubt. Not only is my glass half-full (as opposed to half-empty) but so is yours.


KELLY SAYS........
Patti,
I was one of those students who said, "I can't draw". It would have been encouraging to hear my teacher say, "You are in the right place, and I am going to teach you how". It takes a lot for some teachers to put aside their egos and let students be active in the classrooms. I couldn't imagine some of the teachers I work with asking their students' opinion about how to improve a lesson. Some classes the teacher is the only one with an opinion. It's a pretty sad situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment